Feel free to upvote the topic and take part in the discussion.
Here's my post:
<<quote>>So, given that the Terrans lost one of their units, what new unit should they receive instead? Let's brainstorm some ideas together. Give your suggestions and let's comment on each others' ideas.
TBH, I feel if they get a new unit, it either has to be a large crewed aircraft (frigate, airship or cruiser of some kind), a stealth fighter jet, or a drone/droid/android. Terrans do not have enough nearly enough drones/bots, IMO.
Here's a few of my ideas:
- Lightning Bot / 'Stormbreaker' : A Terran android/robot (built at Barracks) that uses a chain lightning type of attack, which can arc and jump from target to target, dealing less and less damage every time. Will not jump to another unit if enemy units are too far apart. Can have upgrade to make its attack more potent (max jumping range, number of jumps, damage per jump, etc.). Forces players to split their units more, has an anti-deathball role. Requires Tech Lab, Armory.
- Light Infantry / Spartan : Visual Design like Halo 4/5 Spartans. Heavy armor, but acts as specialized troops. Has Battle Rifle/DMR type of weapon, but its uniqueness lies in the fact it is a caster. One ability consist of jumping (with its booster/jet pack) at enemy units and dealing damage while jumping. Ability is not insta-refilled and requires a good amount of time to refill, as well as energy. Another ability is to send out a drone to scout. Other abilities could be to call down an orbital strike that destroys a specific chosen target, or lockdown missiles. Requires Tech Lab, Ghost Academy.
- 'Cryobot' : A T2 Terran Barracks unit that can freeze enemy targets. Has AoE attack like Hellbat, but does not do any damage. Only slows down units until they crawl to a stop and freeze. Frozen units can be insta-killed, or receive 2x or more the damage than they would otherwise. Requires Factory or Armory + Tech Lab.
- 'Cryowalker' : 6 (or 4) legged walker unit that can fire its main cannon which slows down enemy targets, or overdrive its cannon to freeze enemy units. Ranged attack, does 0 actual damage, only slows or freezes enemies. Requires Armory.
- Support Walker : 6 (or 4) legged walker unit that can use a variety of abilities to support mech units (A mech caster for Terran, basically, because why not?). Requires Armory, Tech Lab.
- Drone Command/Control : A vehicle that acts as a caster and can cast specific drones, such as a drone strike, MG drones for self defense, a Matrix Defense NanoShield, a healing/repair drone, and such. Requires Tech Lab.
- Mobile Bunker / IFV : A vehicle that can carry as many infantry as the typical bunker, but it can move while infantry fire from inside of it, albeit it is less resistant than bunkers. Could get a minor AA attack in the form of a small mounted MG. Requires Armory, Tech Lab.
- Mobile Turret / 'Bastion' : A 2-legged mech / android that can deploy into a stationary MG Turret. Could actually free up space for the Auto-Turret, or could be a new variant of the timed auto-turret, that can actually move and redeploy, which could allow Terran players more tactical mobility and more micro potential. Could be built at either Barracks or Factory. Could also deploy into a wall segment, which then connects with another deployed Bastion (if it is within range) via lasers/force fields, producing a wall in between both of those. Perhaps wall blocks only enemy movement, and opens up for allies, perhaps it also damages enemy units in its path while it activates. Requires Tech Lab, maybe Armory if a Barracks unit.
- Razor Drone : A T3 Air unit that does AoE damage as it moves through enemy units. Design looks like a circular drone, with an armored fan in the middle. Requires Tech Lab.
- Phantom : Stealth fighter ala Wraith, with AoE missiles (Valkyrie) or fast laser (Like the "Predator" aircraft from the alpha). Uses design elements from Wraith, Griffon and Hyperion Interceptors. Requires Tech Lab.
- Valkyrie : Classic Terran unit from SCBW. Could receive some kind of Afterburner upgrade/ability. Requires Tech Lab.
- Support Ship / Support Blimp : A large ship or blimp that can cast defensive matrix and/or other buff or debuff abilities. Its main ability, however, is that it buffs any friendly units in its range. Requires Tech Lab, Armory.
- Sky Fortress : A massive T3 airship that can pick off multiple targets at the same time. Not very useful alone against many targets, must be supported by friendlies. Requires Tech Lab + Fusion Plant.<</quote>>
And finally, here are some Terran units that they thought about including in the HotS alpha, but didn't make the cut, that might be revisited:
- A Dozer-type unit that builds bridges and affects terrain
- A missile launcher which acts as a long-range artillery, to break siege tank lines
- A transforming mecha that, like the Viking, turns into an air unit, but works more like a Valkyrie from BW.
- The Shredder, an AoE Area-denial unit that deploys into a stationary defense, which emits radiation that is highly damaging to any enemy ground unit in its range. Will deactivate when friendlies enter its range.
- The Warhound, a Thor replacement, and later a siege tank line breaker, merged with an anti-mech/anti-armor role.
Mobile tier 2 barracks. Has mid-range guns. Uses mech upgrades but trains infantry. Useful to aid transition from bio to mech. Moves slowly. Must deploy to train infantry. It's a crime that there's only one tank in SC2.
What do Terrans need nowadays? Haven't played Melee in like a year :/
I like the idea of a Spartan type with:
Armor Lock - immobilizes the unit and grants invulnerability for a small duration with a short cooldown. Can be used to waste banelings or approach siege lines by stutter-stepping with the invulnerability.
The mobile barracks is cool too, but it seems a little strange to produce bio units on the go. What if...
Suped-Up Vulture - big tank that can deploy and produce a stream of spider-mine-esque weak automatons... wait that's a Swarm Host.
Some sort of "berserker" unit that deals more damage when lower in life would be cool, possible some sort of nano construct.
Shield Projector - A walker that deploys a wide directional shield that blocks movement and damage from one direction, while allowing friendly units to fire out. Can be upgraded to allow slow movement while deployed, or near-instant deployment.
Blizzard will go for a Barracks unit, I doubt they'd add a ship after scrapping the HERC. And since bio already has a caster with two largely unused abilities (Snipe and Nuke), I doubt they'd add another one. Keep in mind that bio is very micro intensive and the HERC was supposed to be a late game tanky unit for bio, but they did it wrong, and the unit became an OP early game harrassment unit.
Why suggest a unit with jetpacks? We have the Reaper already. Unless it is actually a replacement I can't see it happening.
Its funny to think that Blizzard want's to give bio something new considering that starport is the tech that really needs buffs or additions now. I'd like so see a support unit that's is actually useful as a support and not massed as the Raven. Defensive Matrix and Lockdown are abilities I'd like to see again.
Bio is so effective that there's effectively no infantry needed to compliment M&M&M combos. Even Widowmines make a great support to it.
TBH the Herc was an odd choice. They already made the Hellbat a tough melee unit, I don't see why they needed more. It was a slightly more mobile Hellbat with a movement gimmick, and ridiculously OP damage.
Movable 1 slot bunker/container that can either be used as a melee unit temporary shield or a container for a marine or medic.SCVs should be able to buiild and move it. Perhaps repair might make it overpowered. It would mix in economy to the front lines which might be interesting. Also SCVs moving things might be fun to watch. Opens up for player creativity. Breaks deathballs as it encourages sneak-around attacks and slows down movement of Terran. Once you put the unit inside it... you can't get it out.
Cloaking chemicals that lasts for 10 seconds for Terran bio units. Steals life like the Stimpack. Makes it possible to move cloaked units into enemy territory and cause havoc. Could encourage terran players to be more brave.
Deployable micro transmittors with battery (timed). Small trip-mines that dont explode. Only die when a enemy unit steps on them. The player won't see what is coming, just that the trip mine disappears from the minimap/map.
Alien style proximity sensors. Similar to above but for sensor towers. Just emitts sounds on proximity. Just for the sake of inducing fear.
In general, by being able to add expensive buffs to individual marines/marauders they might be used more as offensive squads rather then members of deathballs.
Unit launcher: instead of shooting up nukes, the launcher building could send up shuttles with units. A bit like the nydus worm, but with more limitations to amount. (one building = one shuttle (8 slot like medivac) = one nuke). Player would have to make choise. Also shooting up a ghost in one missile and building a nuke in another could make a fun mechanic. Also, if this would fail, a unit catapult would be fun too. Stuff your marine into the cannon and poof! Of he goes!
Chemical warfare: Any enemy bio unit (cross races) within range will get the disease. Upgrades will enable it for either Zerg or for Terran. Units that survive get a small boost in life/damage etc.Might help in breaking up deathballs as you dont want your enemies close to another. When disease spreads it does so with weaker form in each "jump". Terrans already have cannons, rifles, shotguns, granade launchers, missiles, drones and mines. Chemicals are missing. The HERC tentacle was a bit odd. Perhaps chemical weapon somehow could fill out this void and replace the HERC dynamic. It would also make their arsenal complete. Since the disease could be transmitted to the creators... it follows the very human habit of deploying dumb weapons to wars.
Combat guardian: A unit specific drone that follows it around. Helps in healing, increases vision and perhaps defence. Floats above the unit. Has a timer.
Disable/enable sensor towers: Sensor towers are good, but they should only show up on radar when they have too. Disable them makes them useless but also invisible. (toggle button)
Smell Spell_: For zerg, a spell that reveals what type of units have been walking in a spell area in the recent 20s or so (place some flat sprites on ground or some glowing aura thing). Would require a deep change to mechanics as a full matrix of the entire map would have to log which cells have been visited by what player. (of course, visualized with some cool particles/smoke). The tech could also be used to make heatmaps for the e-sports views.
Modular units - built from scap metals from old ones. I have no clue how to implement this. Perhaps the previously broken thor mechanic could be translated to this? By picking up old thor parts and combine them to new thors the players would not have to consume so much resources. Of course, it would be possible to salvage other players thors as welll...
Mega-cannon-Towncenters. We saw some huge cannons in the campaign preview. Perhaps making it possible to build one of those on top of the command center. Huge range...for a huge cost...of course.