"Crimson Moon" is a part of the Custom Campaign Initiative. Check it out!
What is this?
"Crimson Moon" is a 10-mission campaign. It features high quality terrain, an engrossing storyline with a high amount of cut scenes, many memorable characters, and a varied set of mission scenarios. Mission objectives range from the familiar (bring a limited amount of units to a special location, destroy the enemy base, survival), to the more unique (stealth, investigation). The storyline has its fair share of twist and turns, so I will not reveal too much, except for a few details:
- You play as Terran.
- It all begins on a backwater mining world called Roverville, where a missing morning patrol set events in motion that will have dire consequences.
- You will visit several worlds, and a multitude of different tilesets is used.
- In some missions, you will find yourself in unusual environments, such as sewers, winter military bases, and even a multi-story transport vessel.
How to play
- Download the file on your computer, and unzip.
- The maps should be placed in a folder named "Crimson Moon" in the "Maps" folder. If the placement is wrong, the maps won't connect.
- No mod is required.
- When starting the campaign, use the mission launcher, which lets you choose which mission you want to play.
- A Future Uncertain
- The Black Khan
- The Shortest Straw
- Veil of Frost
- Graveyard of Memories
- Assume the Position
- Perfect Soldiers
- Under a Crimson Moon
In addition to using selections from Blizzard's excellent soundtrack for Wings of Liberty, I've also chosen some tracks from other soundtracks and albums. Some appear several times, but here they are, in the order they appear in the game:
- "The Leper Affinity" by Opeth, from "Blackwater Park".
- "Vats of Goo" by Mark Morgan, from "Fallout".
- "Rock Bottom" by Kiss, from "Dressed to Kill".
- "The Forsaken Cemetary" by Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Glenn Stafford, Neal Acree and Laurence Juber, from "Diablo 3".
- "Intermission III" by Norihiko Hibino, from "Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance".
- "Arsenal's Guts" by Norihiko Hibino and Harry Gregson-Williams, from "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty".
- "Morton" by Ennio Morricone, from "Once Upon a Time in the West".
- "Main Theme (MGS3 Version)" by Harry Gregson-Williams, from "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater".
- "Siberia" by Graeme Norgate, from "Timesplitters 2".
- "Rex's Lair" by Norihiko Hibino, from "Metal Gear Solid".
- "Mr. Roque/Betty's Theme" by Angelo Badalementi, from "Mulholland Drive".
- "Metal Gear Saga" by Harry Gregson-Williams, from "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots".
- "Neo Tokyo" by Graeme Norgate, from "Timesplitters 2".
- "Virtuous Mission" by Harry Gregson-Williams/Norihiko Hibino, from "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater".
- "Wandering Flame" by Nobuo Uematsu, from "Final Fantasy X".
Though the project is all mine, I've also been inspired by others, and I'd like to extend my thanks to the following:
- Tyneara and the rest of the Custom Campaign Initiative for helping build a campaign community.
- The creators of the SC1 remake campaigns, from where I found the inspiration to using custom music and making atmospheric intros.
- OneTwoSC, for his Youtube video of how to make a snow tileset.
- Terhonator, for his mission launcher.
- The guys over at the Map Art Thread on the Team Liquid forums, for much visual inspiration.
- Last, but certainly not least: everyone who plays the campaign, and everyone who gives constructive feedback!
There are no known bugs at the time being, but some have a tendency to show up anyway. Most of these is of the kind that only require a restart to fix.