Starcraft: Mass Recall
Starcraft: Mass Recall
Starcraft: Mass Recall is a project that recreates the classic Starcraft and Brood War gameplay as well as the entire single-player campaigns within the Starcraft 2 engine. Mass Recall contains 68 maps, 59 from the original Brood War game, 3 that were hidden or deleted on various Starcraft supports, and 6 from the 1998 demo campaign.
This mod can be used with any Starcraft 2 version, including the free Starter edition.
Do not hesitate to leave feedback or suggestions in the comments below.
Also check out:
our project thread at TeamLiquid
a commentated playthrough by Jayborino (v6.x, hard difficulty)
a playthrough by professional Starcraft 2 player Crank (HotS version, hard difficulty)
FRIENDLY DISCLAIMER: This mod and all campaign files are FREE. This means, all who work on Mass Recall are putting their free time into an incredibly comprehensive remaster of all of Starcraft and Brood War, including entirely new custom campaigns such as the Stukov Series and Enslavers Redux. Thus, there should be absolutely no expectations that bug fixes or new features will be released in any sort of timely manner. This is a "we'll get to it when we get to it" situation. Please be aware the modders here have work lives, family lives, and simply do not have the energy to maintain a lively work cycle to keep the mod 100% up to date. We do promise we will release updates when we feel they are ready to be released. We hope that you understand our position on this.
Latest News -
April 17th, 2020
Months later, a hotfix! SCMR version 7.3.1 is now available.
Corrected the silly little issue of not being able to start episode 5 via the launcher without unlocking all maps first. It didn't need to take months to sort this out, but here we are. If you've been visiting this page at all recently, you might have realized the project is on hiatus. In recent years our project team's been 90% OmegaWeapon and he's moved on to other things as well.
I'd rather not speculate on the future of Mass Recall, because I honestly have no idea. There is a chance MR will continue to be updated some day in some capacity. Until then, I hope you enjoy what we've put together over the past ten years or so. Thanks for playing. For now, stay home and play a bunch of video games, everyone.
January 9th, 2020
Mass Recall v7.3 is released! This new update fixes a few bugs in various maps as well as some new cosmetic updates like a new retro Adjutant portrait. Feel free to download below!
Mass Recall 7.0 Trailer #2
Mass Recall 7.0 Preview Trailer #`1
Current Version: 7.3.1
Localizations (one of these required):
- SCMR Localization - English v7.3
- SCMR Localization - Deutsch v7.1
- SCMR Localization - Русская v7.3
- SCMR Localization - Korean v7.1
- SCMR Localization - Polish v7.3
SCMR Cinematics Pack (Strongly Recommended)
Enslavers Redux Bonus campaign (Recommended)
To install the cinematics pack if you've already run the installer without it, replace the "SCMRcinematics" file in your mods folder with the one in the cinematics pack download. Similarly, if you have already downloaded the English Localization mod but wish to change languages to one of the above supported versions, replace the "SCMRLocal" file in your mods folder with the respected language you wish to use.
If you've played previous versions of Mass Recall, for a clean install it is recommended you delete any previous Mass Recall-related folders or zip archives from your Starcraft 2 root install directory, and delete or rename the SCMR.SC2Bank file in (Documents)/Starcraft II/Banks
For older versions of the mod, see the "Files" section.
(for Windows, if you're using Mac follow the manual install guide below)
For a fresh auto-install please carefully follow these steps:
- Download the SCMR installer and the required files (see the "Downloads" section above)
Move all downloaded zip files and unzip the installer to your Starcraft 2 install directory
default path: C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\
Run the installer
After SCMR is successfully installed, use the shortcut on your desktop to run SCMR
Auto install video guide by DeltronLive
(this is for an older version, just make sure you have all the latest required files specified in the Downloads section above, otherwise the process is the same)
If auto install fails and/or you would like to manually install SCMR, please carefully follow these steps:
- Download the required mod files (see the "Downloads" section above)
- Extract SCMR. Should look like this when extracted:
- Within this extracted SCMR folder, move the folder called "Starcraft Mass Recall" to the "Maps" folder of your Starcraft 2 Installation folder (Typically located in your primary C: drive -> Applications (mac) /Program Files (win) -> Starcraft II. Or basically, where Starcraft2.exe is located - Note: Create the "Maps" folder here if it doesn't exist!)
And then within this, it should look like the following now under /Maps/Starcraft Mass Recall:
- Go back to that extracted SCMR folder and now move the "Mods" folder to the same place as the "Maps" folder. Should look like the following now:
- Download the Assets and Localization mod files (SCMRassets and SCMRlocal) and extract both to the "Mods" folder in your Starcraft 2 install directory. Your Mods folder should now have FOUR mod files and look like the following:
You can now use the pre-placed shortcut in your core SCMR download that says "Starcraft Mass Recall - WIN". Just double click that link and it should instantly load up the Campaign Launcher. If your SC2 installation path is different from the default please update that shortcut path accordingly. The contents are as follows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\Support\SC2Switcher.exe" -run "C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\Maps\Starcraft Mass Recall\SCMR Campaign Launcher.SC2Map" -displaymode 2
For MAC, its a bit different. First, unzip the pre-placed shortcut called "Starcraft Mass Recall - MAC". Then locate your SCMR Campaign Launcher map and drag and drop it over the MAC shortcut. That will now instantly load the Campaign Launcher.
You're all set! Use the shortcut to play anytime.
Alternative ways to play:
If the above doesn't work for you, first and foremost make sure that:
- you have all the necessary files in the right directories
- you've set the correct paths for the shortcut
- you're running the latest version of Starcraft 2
Alternative way to play without the shortcut:
- locate SC2Switcher.exe in the Support folder (your Starcraft 2 install directory)/Support
- locate the SCMR Campaign Launcher file in (your Starcraft 2 install directory)Maps/Starcraft Mass Recall
- drag and drop the SCMR Campaign Launcher file to SC2Switcher.exe
Yet another, more convoluted install method:
- From within Maps Folder, open the setup map named SCMRsetup in your Maps folder and click the "test document" button on the top right (or press ctrl+F9) once your Campaign Editor is opened.
- When you're at the setup screen, save the game
- Go back to the save menu, highlight the save you just created and click the "show in folder" button. This will minimize Starcraft 2 and open the folder containing the save file
- Move or copy the save file to the saves folder under your account
(your documents folder)/Starcraft II/Accounts/.../.../Saves/Multiplayer (or any other subfolder)
if you can't find this folder, login to your account, go to campaign -> load, click on a save and click the "show in folder"-button. It will take you to the folder you need to move the save file into.
- Open Starcraft 2 again and exit the setup map
- Login to your account and load the save via the campaign load menu
- Once loaded, click the "install" button
- When you're at the title screen, save the game again. You can now use this save to launch SCMR, the setup save is not needed
If you wish to play while logged on to battle.net, you will need to take the following steps:
- Launch Starcraft II using the battle.net launcher
- Alt-tab to desktop
- Launch Starcraft Mass Recall using the created shortcut
Note that you can still save and load any SCMR map, as long as you're logged in.
Bonus Campaign - Enslavers Redux Installation
This file includes a new 30-mission extra bonus campaign "Enslavers Redux" by OmegaWeaponX! This series contains 4 episodes, with 9 unique maps per Terran, Protoss, and Zerg races, with 3 epilogue maps. Content and story is based on the original Enslavers custom maps in Starcraft and Dark Vengeance maps in Brood War. Features brand new dialog and story, missions, and enhanced heroes with their own level-up mechanics! Learn what happens between the major Starcraft episodes and the events leading up to Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty!
While this custom campaign can be played stand-alone by opening up the unique Enslavers Redux Campaign Launcher and launching missions from there, it is also integrated into Mass Recall via the "Extras" menu. In order to load it properly in for the Mass Recall Launcher to work with this campaign, follow these instructions:
- Download the above zip file containing Enslavers Redux
- Go into your Starcraft 2 folder -> SCMR Mass Recall -> Extras:
- Within Extras, place your zip file, then uncompress it there. You should have a folder that says 8. Enslavers Redux. It should look like this now:
- You've got Enslavers Redux installed! Now from the SCMR Campaign Launcher go to Extras and click on the Enslavers Redux menu panel. You can launch any mission from here or open the Enslavers Redux Campaign Launcher and launch missions from there!
Please note - This campaign has no unique audio for voices and as such it is required that subtitles are enabled in order to actually read what transmissions are saying :)
In-Depth SCMR Informational Pages
Also make sure you're using an up-to-date version of Starcraft 2.
- Param/values/whatever: if lots of texts are like that, you may have a problem with your Mods: delete SCMRmod and SCMRlocal, and re-download them from the links below. If it is only one or two lines (say, a mission objective), report it in the comments section (in that case, please specify which language you are playing in).
- Dependency cannot be loaded: The mods are not at the proper place. Check that you have put your mods (SCMRmod AND SCMRlocal) in the Mods folder, as on the picture below.
- Unable to load map: Your maps are not at the proper place. Check that you have put the episode files such as "1. Rebel Yell" in a folder "Starcraft Mass Recall", itself to be placed in Maps, as on the picture above.
Other manual installation guides:
map design and scripting
based on the Starcraft 2: Brood War mod by
additional development by
custom 3D models & textures by
|GhostNova||units: Dropship, Stukov (co-author SoulFilcher), SC1 Queen's Nest, SC1 Ghost, SC1 Citadel of Adun, SC1 Battlecruiser, SC1 Siege Tank, SC1 Academy, SC1 Devourer
portraits: Fenix, Duran, Stukov (co-author SoulFilcher), Goliath
|Thrikodias||units: Tassadar, Observatory, Arbiter Tribunal, Warp Gate, Bengalaas, Kakaru, Psi Emitter, Stasis Cell, SC1 Defiler Mound, SC1 Photon Cannon, SC1 Robotics Facility,
portraits: SC1 Mengsk, Valkyrie, Tassadar, SC1 Adjutant, SC1 Zasz, SC1 Daggoth, SC1 Corsair, SC1 Defiler, Dropship, SC1 High Templar
|GnaReffotsirk||Carrier, Shuttle, Queen, Creep Colony, SC1 Guardian|
|Cacho56||units: UED marine, SC1 Sunken Colony
portraits: Duke, DuGalle, SC1 Arbiter, SC1 Siege Tank, SC1 Battlecruiser, SC1 Science Vessel,
|SoulFilcher||units: Ion Cannon, SCV (Retro), Stukov (co-author GhostNova)
portraits: Stukov (co-author GhostNova)
icons: Kerrigan, Tassadar, Devourer, Queen
portraits: SC1 Overmind
|XibadivS||Control Tower, Machine Shop|
|Snowflake Entertainment / Project Revolution||Valkyrie|
|Hammer107||ComSat Station, SC1 Barracks, SC1 Engineering Bay, SC1 Missile Turret, SC1 Starport, SC1 Armory, SC1 Bunker, SC1 Factory, SC1 Medic, Raynor (Vulture), SC1 Spore Colony, Tassadar (Gantrithor)|
|Kailniris2||Shield Battery, Psi Disrupter textures|
|Delphinium1987||Psi Disrupter mesh|
|MSeverns||Duran, Raszagal units|
|DaveSpectre||Jim Raynor portrait|
|Skulluse||Sarah Kerrigan portrait|
|ZeShmoutt||retextured Hunter Killer, Devouring One|
|SyCoAttack||Dark Protoss (Shakuras) doodad retextures|
|TooMuchTuch||decals: Alpha, Delta, Nova, Omega Squadron, UED, Kel-Morian Combine|
|Frankiealaplaaja||decals: Mar Sara militia, Sons of Korhal|
|Kostyarik||animations: briefing Start button, score screen|
|Re1deR||briefing transitions, portrait highlight texture|
|Jones||town sign textures|
|luhkoala||SCMR loading screen, remastered victory screen backgrounds,
additional loading screen artwork
|Existor||SCMR logo & banner|
PLEASE NOTE that this is a completely unofficial, non-profit, fan-made remake and in no way affiliated with Activision Blizzard.
Old time Brood War players may enjoy the Carbot Animations Brood War series.