StarCraft II: Annihilation Campaign
A russian team has taken the liberty of translating the campaign to Russian! Download it here!
On their website you can find more Russian translations of custom campaigns. For a full list of available campaigns in russian, click here!
This is my first serious map project for StarCraft II. I've always enjoyed the campaign aspect of StarCraft and have played through both the Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm campaigns several times, along with a multitude of different campaigns made by the public. I therefore decided it was time to create my own.
"Annihilation" is a 24 mission campaign with three different story perspectives that will intertwine into one final conclusion. Featuring high-quality terrain, lots of different characters as well as a wide variety of mission scenarios, this campaign, featuring 4 difficulty levels, will hopefully create an enjoyable experience for players of every skill level.
Link to the official Map Feedback thread can be found here.
- Three seperate storylines intersecting and coming together into one final conclusion.
- Play as both Terran, Zerg and Protoss.
- Heavy focus on quality terrain and environments.
- Custom soundtracks and several interesting Hero units.
- 24 missions pitting you up against many different challenges and mission scenarios.
- A total of 14 boss battles pitting you up against a variety of different tacticts and strategies.
It all starts with Investigator Maxwell Reeves of the Spec-Ops: Infiltration Program, who sets surface on the planet Callithus IV to assist the Terran settlers with what initially appears to be a minor Zerg problem. However, they soon realize that events has been set in motion that will potentially change the fate of the universe, and it will be up to the different clans to work together against stopping this threat.
Note: When playing the maps, avoid using the Resume from Replay function, as this may break aspects of the maps. Instead, use the Save/Load function.
- Download the Annihilation zip file, extract them and put all the files inside the Maps folder in your StarCraft II directory. The file path should be something like "StarCraft II/Maps/Annihilation". If the Maps folder does not exist, create it yourself.
- Open the "AnnihilationLauncher.SC2Map" file through the editor. To open the editor, either drag and drop the map file to the SC2 Editor icon, or open the editor, and use the File -> Open function on your taskbar.
- Once the Campaign Launcher is successfully opened, launch the game through the editor by heading into File -> Test Document on your taskbar.
NOTE: Do NOT change any of the file names. Doing this, as well as not having the files in the correct filepaths listed in the Installation Guideline above, will prevent the campaign maps from connecting and in turn, make the Campaign Launcher completely useless.
Ignore the "DS_Store" files that you may recieve upon downloading. These folders are added automatically when you store a file in folders on Mac computers. You can safely delete these.
- Annihilation 01: Mindless Creatures - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 02: An Unfriendly Ally - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 03: The Idu'ran - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 04: Fallen Brethren - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 05: Departure - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 06: The Daggerfang - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 07: Homecoming - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 08: The Wandering Shadow - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 09: Bio-Weapons - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 10: Newfound Enemies - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 11: Ussorus - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 12: Reawakening - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 13: Facility 14A - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 14: The First Step - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 15: Entrance Into Risk - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 16: The Breach - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 17: Last Stand - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 18: A Major Downfall - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 19: Planetary Incursion - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 20: Sentient Reality - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 21: Mysterious Revelations - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 22: The United Forces - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 23: Frontal Push - Completed (RELEASE)
- Annihilation 24: Edge of Annihilation - Completed (RELEASE)
This campaign contains 4 difficulty levels, ranging from Casual, Normal, Hard and Brutal. Your success in completing the individual missions on these difficulties greatly depends on your level of skill.
- Casual: A difficulty requiring little to no multitasking and micro skills, featuring less enemies and focus on story.
- Normal: A difficulty requiring minor multitasking and micro skills, featuring fewer enemies and focus on story and minor challenges.
- Hard: A difficulty requiring good multitasking and micro skills, featuring a high number enemies and focus on challenges and entertainment.
- Brutal: A difficulty requiring great multitasking and micro skills, featuring tremendously more enemies and heavy focus on challenge.
You may have trouble opening these maps if you open them directly from the map itself. If you do have this issue and the map opens up as just an empty map, then I suggest you open it in the following way:
- Open up the StarCraft II Editor.
- Once finished, go to "Open".
- Find the map in your catalog, and select it. Using this method to open any maps from the campaign should fix any issues you have with opening them.
You may notice some of the music in the campaign are not from StarCraft, in fact, I focused heavily on the use of soundtracks to bring the campaign to life. If you wish to see a full list of all the tracks confirmed to be used, click here.
- Special thanks to the respected composers of the various different music soundtracks used in this campaign.
- Special thanks to Thrikodias for the awesome custom models and units used in this campaign.
- Special thanks to VastanX for creating the unique models for various Hero units used in this campaign.
- Special thanks to all those who play and provide useful feedback to help improve these maps.
- Special thanks to users JayborinoPlays, deltronLive, Redlerred7 xMasterKD and Palnai for playing and providing entertainment and feedback for this campaign.
Enjoy Annihilation? Follow my official Discord, and engage in discussions about the campaign, or chat with me directly. Following this discord also gives you access to frequent updates and WIP showcases of my latest campaign project, A War Story.
No patch notes are planned for the campaign.
Remove links to russian website. It's sold now
In reply to TheonlyoneBlueberry:
you should reupload translation to some other website
So I don't know if someone else has posted about this bug already, but in the 6th mission one of your drones will survive if it was in an extractor when the others got deleted.
Also really great campaign, it was a blast.
I have installed the campaign, strictly following the instructions. However, when I opened the launcher and have selected a mission, it did not launch and gave me an "Unable to open map" error. Can anyone tell me if they have encountered it and how to solve the stuff? I have deleted and reinstalled SC2 for that, but it still gives me the same error.
In reply to nerazim_03:
Never mind, I solved it by deleting all files connected to SC2 and reinstalling the game again. Apparently, I had vital files in another directory, separately from the game itself.
Does it require any addons? The heart of the swarm or legacy of void?
Hi. Thanks for the hard work. I'm really exciting about trying this campain.
One question: is it normal that opening map file is really, really long ?
By example, when opening the campain launcher, the SC2 editor opens a window with "Preparing Game data" progress. It reachs like 3,000 MB / 3,576 MB really quick (few seconds) but after it taking a lot of time (1 MB/s average)... Like it's few minutes since and it's not finished.
Edit 1: Sooooo, 22 more minuts and still loading... Window changed with the "Downloading Required Dependencies" and i'm after half...
In reply to luyiluyiluyiluyi:
It shouldn't take that long usually. The Preparing Game Data thing you're getting seems to be something that would happen if you haven't updated SC2 in a while or haven't used the editor.
Only thing I can suggest is make sure SC2 is fully updated and let the Preparing Game data thing finish. It should hopefully not need to do it more than once and loading subsequent maps will be a lot faster.
In reply to thedodo1995:
Ok thanks for replying.
I'll try launching the editor first. In fact, it was a long time i didn't launch the editor so maybe it's it was all about...
Hello I just downloaded the mod and I love it but I have two issues one does not really matter because i can just launch the maps directly with the editor but the second is weird.
In Annihilation 05: the mission ends as soon as one transport reaches the end point, sometimes two i don't know if the fact that i have to launch all maps manually by using "test document" in the editor might play a role , but apparently in your troubleshooting section you mention that using the editor in the easiest way to play maps bug free.
(The first issue is the unable to load map error ofc)
In reply to crystalizerbluesoul:
That is a very strange bug I have never experienced before. I'll take a look. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
In reply to crystalizerbluesoul:
Hey, I have taken a look at the map and there doesn't seem to be any issues with it. The only possibility I can think of is that somehow, some triggers broke when you launched the map. This is an odd bug that can happen, albeit very rarely. The only solution I can think of is to either A) try to launch the map again and play or B) download the latest version which hopefully fixes whatever issues that map was causing.
Let me know if any of these solutions work for you.
In reply to dudkisc2: Thanks for the help, yeah it seems a trigger broke, I used the weirdest fix : by putting a command center in the expansion east of the natural -using the map editor tool- I was able to play the map normally.
In reply to crystalizerbluesoul:
Good to hear things ended up working out. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hey, i just downloaded the campaign 2 days ago, its really fun to play,
but now i am at mission "Annihilation 08: The Wandering Shadow" and right after the first loading screen where you can choose the difficulty and inside the mission most words, dialogs and all only show "param/value/ and a random number" as far as i saw and noticed its only in that mission so far (dont know about the ones after)
In reply to ZeusderErste:
Huh, that's funny. The recent update should have fixed that. At least, it seemed to have fixed it for me.
Oh well, you can fix it yourself within the editor. If you open up Mission 08, look in your taskbar at the top and find "Map -> Locale". When you hover over Locale, you should be able to select a Locale for the map to use. Should be enUS by default. If this doesn't work for you, try selecting enGB, and then launch the map. Only Mission 08 (and possibly Mission 11) will have this problem.
Here's a screenshot of the specific tab you're looking for.
In reply to dudkisc2:
thanks you ^-^ i will try it out and will come back in case none of the tip works but i trust you that they will work ^-^.
Ok, i did try it out, but it still shows the same bug, even in mission 11 as you mentioned
In reply to dudkisc2:
Hey there !
In the first place i want to thank you for your work, i've done the beginning of the campaign and i really enjoyed it. But here's my problem : like ZeusderErste, the dialogs etc... only show "param/value/[numbers]" in the 8th mission. I did what you explained above, ctrl+s, and i restarted the launcher and the mission but the bug is still here :/
I hope we can find a solution because i really want to see the rest of the story without skiping a part.
In reply to Jafaar__:
Have you tried launching Mission 08 through the editor directly instead of going through the launcher after making your changes? Not sure if that would make any difference at all, but it's worth trying. I'm trying to figure out why this bug occurs for you still.
In reply to dudkisc2:
I just tried it and this doesn't work either :(