I was going to point you to Blizzard's original tutorials which are a great starting point, but sadly I can't find them... But Deltron did a great video tutorial based off those. You can find the first one here:
- Curse Premium
Member for 5 years, 3 months, and 28 days
Last active Tue, Aug, 14 2018 10:36:33
- 3 Followers
- 1,525 Total Posts
- 20 Thanks
Jul 17, 2018MaskedImposter posted a message on Best resource to learn more about C or Galaxy basicPosted in: General Chat
May 13, 2018Posted in: Off-Topic
Looks neat. I'll add it to wishlist for now and may pick up later. Looks like it's early access. I've found when I buy early access, when I finish it, I don't go back to it even when its finished. Probably best to wait til finished then play :P
Oct 3, 2017MaskedImposter posted a message on SC Tactics - Terran Heroics by Gastu (Mapcraft 2017)
Gameplay starts about 18 minutes into video.
Here I play Gatsu's version 1 submission for Mapcraft 2017! Everyone be sure to test out the mapcraft maps and give feedback! You can find them on Jayborino's discord.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Aug 3, 2018Posted in: Project Workplace
Hey guys! It's been a while.
I finally got some spare time on my hands and whipped up this tool you can use to create saved games via triggers.
Project Page: https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/sc2saver
It works well enough for me, I hope this at least provides a solution, however clunky, for making automatic checkpoints and stuff like that. (Odyssey Mission 10. Never forget.)
Hope you guys like it!
Aug 1, 2018DrSuperEvil posted a message on How to make several workers construct the same building faster?Posted in: Data
Under the Buildable type ability used by the structure there are the Stats: Maximum Builders, Stats: Power Build Bonus Rate and Stats: Power Build Cost Factor fields.
May 23, 2018Posted in: Map Review
New Mapsters? New Marauders? Enslavers Redux fully released after 3 years of development? Antioch Ep 3 released after 19 years?
What year is it? It's like a little mini-renaissance of single player content! It's never too late to try your hand at making stuff if you're interested.
May 10, 2018Posted in: Map Review
Thoughts of Chaos is the epic conclusion to The Antioch Chronicles, a large-scale custom campaign. TiC weaves together a narrative made by many different characters from different faction and have them slowly converge until the finale. It features acceptable voice acting (the protoss voices will grow on you, and it gets better in later missions), and quality editor work (terraining, models, etc), as well as a well done and entertaining story (despite the ending being too cliche) by my admittedly low standards.
However, any fun that one would normally get from the story is instead leeched away by 110% mediocre gameplay, which mostly seems like a way to pass the time between story segments rather than engaging and enjoyable.
The gameplay, first and foremost, suffers from slow pacing. There's plenty of long winded backtracking through empty and very weakly defended areas in both macro and micro missions. Here's an example: TiC has a stealth mission, reminiscent of HotS' ship infiltration mission. However, instead of combat, you're greeted with (admittedly well-thought out) puzzles, halfhearted enemy detection patrols (you don't interact with the guards other than just walking out of their zones), and halfhearted kill defenseless, undefended structure to progress. It got to a point where I tried to break the monotony by attacking some random guards and escaping the detectors gaze. This gets back to what I previously said about "waiting x minutes", you're moving through the ship for a certain duration to get to the next puzzle, enjoyable gameplay be damned.
Difficulty, like many aspects of gameplay, didn't seem to get much thought either. "Hard" in TiC means "WoL casual". Many hero units are broken, and with minimal micro they can multiply a small force's effectiveness by tenfold. Many missions can be beat by getting 10-20 units and just steadily rolling across the map. But in two missions it's very, very, hard, unless you understand the correct choices you need to beat the mission (which would require editor diving or some really lucky guesses). Of course, such information is only going to come to you once you lose the mission once. As an example, there's a holdout that features extremely high tech ground units (archons, reavers, ultralisks) with a few air superiority fighters and dropships. Suddenly, on the last few waves, the mission throws the curveball of 2 carriers (capital ships) per wave. Hopefully you built enough anti-air that you couldn't know that you'd ever use. If there had been any hint in an earlier wave, I would have enjoyed the mission. It was on my skill level, a nice terran holdout with some interesting twists. Due to not seeing any indication, I fortified my tank line and suffered, and lost a lot of .
Bosses have HUMONGOUS HP bars, backed up by tiny amounts of damage so that phase transitions, many of which are accompanied a cutscenes or "action pauses", are played a significant duration apart (have to have SOME space between emotional moments). Combine this with high cooldown abilities, and I had trouble staying alert during boss battles, as rarely they did anything cool, interesting, or required effort to dodge.
In closing (TL;DR): DO NOT PLAY Thoughts in Chaos if you're looking for a campaign that gives you something to do. If you must see the story because you've seen the first two (and you should see TiC in that case), use cheats (i.e."move" or "god") or watch Jayborino's videos to avoid interacting with the gameplay as much as possible.
May 9, 2018Posted in: Artist Tavern
Not every model I make will be uploaded here. If I feel especially happy about something I've made, it'll go here. I'm still working on my skills and starting to migrate to 3DSMax so not everything I pump out of Blender is as elaborate or different from the original as I wish (even if they turn out fine).
For starters, here is the recent Sanctifier Warmech - I just updated my Assets page with this model, its accompanying portrait, and another Adept model.
Feb 16, 2018DrSuperEvil posted a message on [SOLVED] Raynor's breaching charge used on stuff besides doorsPosted in: Data
Just so you know to get the SOp window working you must have Combine Structure Values (Ctrl + Shift + N) view enabled.
Feb 14, 2018Posted in: Map Review
This community is what gave me a lot of exposure along the way - I hope it was mutual! To be clear, I'm not just up and abandoning what's going on with SC2, but I have simply played most campaigns so I have to find a replacement for something consistent to record.
I've considered messing around in the Arcade, that has a lot of potential to be great fun. Just gotta find consistently populated lobbies so it doesn't turn into tedium when finding something to play!
Jan 15, 2018Posted in: Trigger Libraries & Scripts
InsaneBriefing is a library I've worked on in the past months and it's a library I'm proud to release and I really hope to see it used.
By playing various custom campaign myself, such even as Mass Recall, I always noticed how difficult it was to have a really nice looking briefing that was also easy to implement for mapmakers. And by nice looking, I mean an UI that's a bit more modern and complex than what I've seen so far.
As an engineer, I love to solve this kind of problems, and from that InsaneBriefing has born. Like always, it's a library for mapmakers, so it's something that mapmakers can use to make it easier for them to make maps.
The main features are:
- Modern briefing interface with four portraits
- Support for cancel and start mission with trigger handlers
- Support for play/stop the briefing actions (single player only)
- Support for difficulty choice and customizable difficulty profiles
- Support for different players, up to 16 togheter with different briefings each
- Support for voiceover, beep sound and tooltips for title of the briefing transmission text
- Support for no portrait transmission
- Support for UI customization without changing the core code (just need to extend the right preset)
- Full integration of InsaneTransmission: custom portraits and big preset are available for InsaneBriefing by default
If anyone is interested, it's here for you to see and use.
To download, togheter with my other libraries, refer to this page.
Hope you enjoy.
If there is some glitch or bug please report to me and I'll try to do my best to solve it. Truth is this library is very complex in its structure, and as such some glitch I fear it's almost inevitable.
As a side not, I also announce the release of InsaneUI library.
More a collection of assets than a library, InsaneUI contains some layout templates I used when I was making InsaneBriefing.
It also features an interlude system that allows map makers to create interludes similar to those we've all seen in Brood War or Starcraft Remastered.
The main features are:
- Borders, Buttons and Scrollbars layouts templates and more
- Brood War style interludes
- Starcraft Remastered style interludes
- Support for different players, up to 16 togheter with different interlude each
This library is very easy. If you are interested, more information you can gather here.
The last attachment is an example text generated using this library. Actually, by just 3 actions in the GUI.
Hope you enjoy and, as always, good luck with your mapmaking!
Oct 22, 2017Posted in: Map Feedback
Mapsters 4.5 for Mapcraft 2017 has been significantly updated. Very interested in feedback for anyone who has time. Just about 20 days til contest ends.
Some changes of note:
- The end is an actual boss fight now, far different than it was before. So much improved. Type "boss fight" without quotes after you choose difficulty if you want to skip straight to it for testing purposes.
- Changed the supply max to 100, and added an addition second level upgrade for the healing bots. This makes it easier to keep a fully healed up army.
- Changed the tanks impact indicator to make it more distinct from the grenade ability indicator. So hopefully that'll help the player to know to dodge the tank attacks.
- Lots of other various things I don't remember :P"boss fight" should probably activate all upgrades....anyways the 2nd upgrade for the healing bots now makes them healing grenades, and making the single target heal rather pointless (except on heavily damaged marauders or heroes). Throw one in front of your army, crowd around it, and shoot for 25 healing and then you can keep moving (saving you time)Drop pods are interesting, but in the end it's a pain to keep selecting new units that can be on the other side of the ship and try to group them with you.Ghost dude's epic cloak on wound means that it's actually generally better to keep dying (which you will anyways, due to the sheer hp of everything that spawns)
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.