I'm pretty new to this stuff. I noticed that some of Blizzard's rock the cabinet maps had Heroes of The Storm models in them, which I assume means Blizzard allows the community to access their models.
How do I go about doing this though. Is there a mod available with all these assets? I saw some thread about some people personally importing/exporting a model here and there. Is it a difficult process?
Is there a tutorial available for learning this import/export skill if a mod is not available?
Edit: Okay, figured this out by looking at that new Super Sonya Bros map. You need a specific file structure though, which I will get to at the end. For this example, I'm going to use Uther.
1. Download CASC. This program is needed to view Blizzard's compressed files. It's an easy to use program though and simple to download. Here's the link: http://www.zezula.net/en/casc/main.html
Make sure to be thankful for the awesome guy that made this cool tool!
2. Extract CASC (No install needed, YAAAAY!)
3. Open CASC and click the "Game Storage" button at the top left
4. Select Heroes of The Storm (Yes, you need to have downloaded Heroes of The Storm)
5. Extract the following files. I'm going to list most of the file path for the first one in each folder to make it easier. If I don't list a full path, it's in the same folder. Just find the file and click the extract button located at the top mid of CASC (it's under the operations tab if you aren't already there for some reason).
\Storm_Effect_DeathRagdollDissipate.m3a (THIS IS USED FOR HERO DEATH I GUESS. I GRABBED IT)
..Storm_Hero_Uther_Base (extract only file in this folder)
..Storm_Hero_Uther_Base_DeathRagdoll (extract only file in this folder)
..Storm_Hero_Uther_RequiredAnims (extract only file in this folder)
6. Okay, now the important part. For some reason, you have to use a certain file structure to connect the files together and get everything textured correctly. Correct file structure shown below:
Create a folder on your desktop called "base.sc2assets"
Cut and paste the extracted "Assets" folder from the CASC program into your "base.sc2assets" folder. You should find your "Assets" folder where you extracted your CASC program to. That folder contains all of the files we extracted in step 5.
7. Import time! Open your editor, click the import manager (near the top middle, has a picture of a file and arrow).
8. Right click in the "Document Files" window that opened up and click "Import Files..."
9. Navigate to your desktop and put a check mark next to your "base.sc2assets" folder. That'll import everything we put in that folder, which is perfect!
10. Click the save button. After you save, the errors should go away when attempting to view the files. CONGRATS! Uther is now in your map! As for attaching him to a model and then attaching that model to an actor and then attaching that actor to a unit, I'm still figuring that out. Also, I didn't pull any sound files or anything. You'll have to do that yourself if you want those. Should be pretty easy, just grab the sounds you want from in CASC.
Edit: You might have to close after saving and then open the editor again for everything to link up.