I looked through a couple of the threads here but have not been able to find a solution for the problem I'm having. If it is buried here somewhere and I missed it, I apologize in advance.
Here's the problem:
When I try to Import any of the components of the SM_HyperionBridge (Assets/StoryModeSets/Terran/SM_HyperionBridgeStage1), 3Ds MAX comes up with the following error message after asking for the textures:
I think the problem lies in the file itself, I have tried exporting the model both via the Galaxy Editor and by going straight into the MPQ with MPQEdit, both have yielded the same result.
I noted though that when I open the model in the Galaxy Editor Previewer, I got the error message "Missing String: ".
Another curious thing (to me) is that in the MPQ files there are both a "SM_HyperionBridgeStage1_00.m3" and a "SM_HyperionBridgeStage1_00.m3h" - What's the difference between the two, or do they supplement each other in some way?
So, at this point my assumption is that the file is somehow missing the positional data for the object causing the import to fail. How to I get around this problem? Is this even the problem?
I really wish they would stop releasing new versions every year, and just patch one (or sell the new features as addons) for a while. Or at least make them more compatible.
There are a lot of bugs with it; I'm not sure if that's one of them. I never got it working right with 2010 (always had animation issues, flying vertices, UV's were off, etc). I've been working on a new standalone converter but it's a little while off before it'll be released. Your best bet would be to use placeholders until someone gets a proper version working.
Do you mind sharing those standalone programs? I've only ever heard of the Max importer script. (btw, somebody make a .m3 to FBX converter and I will pay you in sexual favors for as long as I live :S )
Also, I'm seeing if I can get my hands on a 2010 version of Max and I hope that will also resolve the issue.
They aren't done yet, which is why they won't be released for a while (never really did a ton of programming like this). There is information on it in NinToxicated's thread. It's going to convert from .3ds, .obj, and .fbx (and .m3).
UPDATE: It seems that something got screwed up permanently and that this is likely not caused by MAX 2012. Even .m3's that worked fine before now give me the same error message I posted in the first post.