You can now have multiple meshes in a scene and they will be exported as submeshes. For bones to be exported you no longer need to add them all to a skin modifer on the main mesh. I really think the update will clear up alot of the errors people have been getting. M3's will now import in the new format, with a seperate mesh for each submesh and with skin modifiers that only contain the bones that affect the vertices of the mesh. I've really striven for backward compatibility with old models imported or created with the old plugin versions so please let me know if anyone encounters severe problems working with older models.
I've updated the way materials are handled, there are different 'types' which I'll expand on in the future. At the moment you can only have 'Terrain (Null)' and 'Normal'. Terrain works just as it sounds, rendering terrain for that particular material instead of a specified material. You won't see that render in 3ds max though, I was thinking about bundling a dirt terrain texture with the plugins but the dds file is a bit too big. It's still an experimental material at the moment anyhow.
Decals are now supported. The way decals work, they're applied through different UV channels. I've hardcoded diffuse/spec/emissive/etc. to all work through UV channel 1 at the moment. Decals can be customly set to a different UV channel, but just be aware to map decals on to a mesh you'll have to work in a different UV channel than 1. Attachments are now supported as custom objects too. They can be found in the Create panel, under the Helpers tab. You'll see a drop down list (has 'Standard' in it by default) that you can select 'Starcraft 2 Objects' from. You'll find attachments in there. When I finally get around to doing particle and ribbon emitters I'll be placing these kind of custom objects under this group too.
Also xcorbo I updated the code so you can now use any animation range for animations. i.e. you can have Stand and Walk use the same animation ranges.
I'll see about doing some tutorials for this update as it's moving in the direction I want it to go. The MDX importer works really good with it too so it won't be too long before I'll be able to release that aswell :D. Cheers guys.
Hrm, not sure tigerija. Maybe I can send you a modified version of the script so I can debug it. I'll PM it to ya. I'll just need a screenshot of the section of code that seems to be causing the fault.
Exactly, you can't hide any part of the rig. I forgot to mention that the exporter purposely ignores hidden/frozen objects. This means if you have an object in the rig that has a parent that is hidden, it's going to crash because the script won't add the hidden object into the bone list to be sorted and linked together. I'm going to make the ignore hidden/frozen objects a selectable option in future releases. I can also provide an error message or have the script take a different course of action now that I know what causes that error.
I have bone that is parent and that parent has 2 child bones. So I need to bake this. But if I use my normal baking program I get flickering bones.
If I use other baking tool it converts bones into mesh. I can convert them into polys and export. But then in SC2 movement speed of model is increased... a lot.
I'm having some rigging issues with imported Warcraft 3 characters.
I've tested importing a Demon Hunter and exporting it using MDX importer into 3ds Max 2010, then exporting back into .m3. This works perfectly, the mesh and animations work.
The problem is I tried importing a custom mesh (Picutred below) and skinning it to the Demon Hunter's bones, but my weighting is messed up when I export into .m3. You can see below, the feet and ears and sometimes the tips of the blades would be weighted weirdly; even though in Max I have weighted everything to either 100% one bone, or 50/50 between 2 bones.
I've tried multiple work arounds, and I can't figure this issue out. I've tried skinning to every bone in the scene, skinning to only the bones the original DH mesh uses, weighting to 1 bone, etc. I still get this issue where it seems other bones are influencing points which they shouldn't. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be?
Hey Triceron. If you could send me the max scene file of the mesh it'd be helpful for debugging the problem and figuring out where the script is going wrong. I've seen this issue in xcorbo's Link mesh so I can look at that too. Perhaps check to see if you have zero weights in max? You can clear them through menu's. Either way I'll look into the issue and see if I can figure out a solution. Cheers.
Yes they are. Add them through the 'Create' panel under the 'Helpers' tab under the 'Starcraft 2 Objects' group in the drop down list (usually has 'Standard' in it). See the attached screenshot for clarification.
EDIT: Keep in mind, attachments have a naming convention that you must use. The most common ones are supplied in the drop down menu you can see. I think all of them allow you to add numbers to them so you can have more than one. i.e. Ref_Weapon 01, Ref_Hardpoint 02, etc. Check out the names of attachments in other models in the previewer for more examples.
I figured out the problem from the scene file you sent me Triceron, thanks for that. The problem is that you have zero weights included for some vertices and the script is handling them incorrectly. You'll have to zero the weights for now, but in the next update I'll make it so zero weights aren't included when exporting as M3. Check the attached screenshot to see how to zero the weights in max.