We'd like to get a fairly solid product before releasing anything to the public - an underdeveloped map simply isn't fun to play on and reflects poorly on our production team. Progress is moving along nicely, and we should definitely have an excellent build ready for when the ability to publish maps on Battle.net comes out
Just tested this bad boy today; it was on page 2. Forget which version so you may have fixed some of these... maybe not.
1. Simplify the loading screen; the picture overwhelms it so I can't read anything :D
2. I like choosing bonuses like Wealth etc... however the races confused me. Mostly the power race... but the tech race was decent. Didn't try splash because people said it's broken. Not sure about bio either.
3. Linked to number 2; I remember line tower wars and how much fun I had in war3 with it. This is a great followup. But I think each race's complexity is too much.
Perhaps remove races (I know, drastic change... but I would honestly love it) and make everyone build same towers at the start. Then whichever path they start building or upgrading towards, it'll unlock more towers of that type. E.g. someone builds small lightning tower, this unlocks large lightning tower, and thus players can make their own "trees" of choice. Right now if you choose a bad race its GG... this might alleviate that.
4. Keep it simple. The power race... so complex getting a simple maze going... the tech race... annoying having to build pylons every time, and the pylons don't block units properly fyi ><. I would prefer if you just went back to simple mechanics and straight up mazing. This is just my opinion, but I'm a pretty experienced mapper and long-time war3 player. I would play your map A LOT more if it was just simplified :D
Oh and maybe I didn't read right, but what do carrier towers do for tech? I built it for 5k and then didn't see it do anything. But maybe I missed something...
5. Not sure what caused it... but about the time I started sending Stalkers, the whole game went into lag frenzy. Actually at this time I was also getting the psionic storm tower (forget name)... basically became unplayable (amount of lag). However, before this it was pretty fun and stable.
6. Couldn't train income-units from 2nd/3rd buildings... not implemented yet?
Hope this helps; I really want to see this map OWN.
1. Dully noted, well try to make text easier to read
2. Haha splash broken; broken as in kicks ass then yes! I think the problem is people don't realize that the builder requires targets to shoot at, to fix this next patch we will start the builder off with a target, hopefully people will notice that the towers attack it and not enemies. We think that will fix most peoples perception of the splash builder.
3. We'll try and make each Builder a little more newb friendly, maybe putting the builder descriptions on loading page as well will help with that?
4. We are aware of the pylon problem we also think the ghost is causing problems and the thor for splash builder.... We tried to make Power race not too complex as we made power distribution auto-cast. Maybe we should add a Standard Tower Builder without all the fancy micro stuff for your simple needs?
EDIT: Also Mech Builder will be coming up in a later patch, hopefully version 2, and i think he might be a more standard type of Tower Builder, he only requires some micro - choosing abilities and weapons for each tower that is made.
4.5. It actually picks up units like a pheonix gravity beam and holds them there.
5. Lag problems are our biggest concern right now we think most of the problems are based around splash builder and the storm tower.
6. Correct those aren't implemented yet. plan for those in version 2.0
7?. thx for the feedback and, ME TOO!
Please keep giving feedback we are working on a fix for the next version expect pylon/ghost problem to be fixed and hopefully lag to be cut down within the week.
Hey OneTwoSC, thanks for your time in replying. Doc answered it pretty well, but I wanted to add a few things. With the races, we knew when we set out that we weren't making the most user friendly game - compared to the Warcraft III version, there's definitely a lot more micro involved with building a base than there was with the original LTW. However, I feel like how the races play different than each is other is one of our selling points. Compared to Warcraft III, Starcraft II's races arguably have much sharper defined niches, and personally I always liked that.
I'm certain we won't be the only people to build a Line Tower Wars. Matter of fact, a quick search reveals that somebody else is already working on one on sc2mapster. Basically, anybody can build a much simpler map to give you what you're looking for. What we're hoping is that while our map's complexity may initially scare off some people, nevertheless we'll have a more dedicated core following who like it for all of its nuances that just aren't present in a simpler map.
Okay I see what you guys mean... I guess the issue is more then that I was overwhelmed on my first play.. especially because I picked the power team. Maybe make the power lines farther? I didn't really have a clue that I needed to build power lines and then towers. Maybe I just need to play it more.
was this version v1 or v1.2 we hoped starting a player with a splash target fixed this, but if not we are thinking of ways to improve this maybe changing the loading screen to builder discriptions or making a short intro....
Version v1.4 is out you can view the changelog here.
We fixed the thor problem and buffed a lot of the creeps, we also added some cool icons to the traits and the leaderboard.
EDIT: We worked real hard today but we managed to put out 2 new versions today, turns out a fix from 1.2 lead to the infestor problem in 1.3 and then 1.3 fixed that causing 1.4 to not have thor towers work. And in that time we were able to revamp the trait system.
Version v1.5 is here and you can view the changelog here.
We think we fixed the wall checker problem but theres no way to tell besides testing it, obviously we tested it ourselves before releasing but we did that with previous versions aswell. Anyway we believe the problem was he moved so fast that he got stuck in wierd places so we reduced his speed and revamped the way he works. If he's still causing problems let us know.
Version v1.6 is here and we finally found what was killing shit.
Turns out EMP upgrades were doing damage and affecting towers, so when you upgraded your emp towers they would bomb the shit out of your maze! Besides that we nerfed Tech and fixed the reckless discriptions.