Hi. This post is going to be kind of "I am back in the saddle again" post.
I have not been active with Starcraft II modding between 2017-2020. When Warcraft 3 Reforged was released my plan was to create a campaign for it. However, Warcraft III Reforged failed terribly as we all know and basicly it does not offer the tools we need to create campaign content. So, I still have enough passion left for a small project and I have decided to create a small campaign for Starcraft II.
Game: Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void Project name: Peak Vespene MOD name: Peak Vespene MOD Example of project naming: Starcraft II - Peak Vespene - Chapter 1 - Mission 1 Created by: Terhonator
MOD - General:
- All maps use same MOD. (PeakVespene.SC2mod)
- Units are balanced with formula that is familiar from card games (Power, Toughness, Keywords)
- Remove as many damage and armor types as possible
- Customized races and tech trees
- Focus on single player mechanics / balance
MAPS - General:
- Keep it simple! - All maps use same campaign file (PeakVespene.SC2mod) - No map specific data changes - 1 race / organization per Chapter as playable race - 10 missions per Chapter - Focus on gameplay mechanics, not on fancy cinematics or other cool outside gameplay mechanics - Minimal story: All story is written in loading screens and mission objectives - Big theme: Terran corporations, Zerg swarms and Protoss tribes are fighting for natural resources of Koprulu Sector. Term "Peak Vespene" comes from "peak oil" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil)
- Map naming system: C01M01, C01M02... C02M05
- No mission timers that make player feel that there is some need to hurry. I want players to take their time, test different units and strategies and encourage much slower playstyle. (Opposite to multiplayer games)
- Focus on Mar Sara environment objects, basic Terran units and infested Terran units (MOD) - Theme: Mara Sara Colonial Militia is fighting against infested Terran colonies on Mar Sara - Player: Mar Sara Colonial Militia, Color: Blue
- Enemy: Infested Terrans, Color: Orange
- Story: Starting point of the campaign is almost same as in Starcraft I. However, player does not meet Marshal Raynor. The infestation has role in events of Mar Sara.
Chaper 1, Missions 4-6:
- Terran vs Zerg
- Locations: Mar Sara
- Focus on Terran units and basic Zerg units (MOD)
- Theme: Mara Sara Colonial Militia is fighting against Zerg swarm on Mar Sara
- Player: Mar Sara Colonial Militia, Color: Blue - Enemy: Zerg Swarm, Color: Orange
Chaper 1, Missions 7-9:
- Terran vs Terran
- Locations: Mar Sara
- Focus on Terran units (MOD)
- Theme: Kel-Morian Combine is invading Mar Sara for its natural resources
- Player: Mar Sara Colonial Militia, Color: Blue - Enemy: Kel-Morian Combine, Color: Teal
- I will do all unit balancing with a simple formula but I will try to keep unit stats as close to original ones as possible. This will be single player MOD so I am not going to worry about multiplayer balance.
- Modified line of sight mechanics: Rocks and trees block line of sight.
- Terran infantry units will have "Mechanical" attribute instead of "Biological". Reasons behind this change is to encourage player to build more Factory units and avoid too often used Marine/Medic army. It also makes sense that infantry are mechanical because their strength / endurance comes from used combat suit. (You have to weld the armor)