Player Zone > Map Feedback

ES Tactics (Elite Squad Tactics)

Overall Score (out of 10)

1. Choice:

1. Results
  • 16 posts
    #1 Sep 04, 2013 at 14:38 UTC - 1 like

What is this?

A simple and deep turn based strategy game. What's unique is how the turn based mechanics are handled to minimise waiting for all players. This is purely a battle of the minds since game play focuses on making interesting decisions.

All this information will not do the game justice as I consider it highly engaging to play. It is very satisfying to think up or experiment with simple or advance strategies in order to outsmart my opponents.

How to Win?

Two teams compete for the higher score. Score is increased by kills, holding the flag, or capturing the hill.

Some Features

• Colliding projectiles
    • Destructible environment
    • Randomly generated environment
    • A novel turn based system

Other Information

• Games last at most around 20 minutes
    • Requires 2 players minimum, 6 players maximum
    • Supports AI (just add them in the lobby)
    • Map is in a seemingly endless WIP

Need Anything?

I need help improving the game and increasing attention. I don't mind how little the contribution is but every bit counts. I would greatly appreciate it if you wish to do any of the following actions:

• Provide feedback
    • Play the map at least once
    • Invite friends or others to check out the map
    • Encourage friends or others to provide feedback

NA: starcraft://map/1/231632
    EU: starcraft://map/2/161277

Last edited Apr 08, 2014 by Trieva
    #2 Nov 02, 2013 at 03:07 UTC - 1 like

Blizzard and everyone who showed an interest in my project or chat with me about it, I give you by biggest thanks :D

#3 Nov 02, 2013 at 03:17 UTC - 1 like

@Trieva: Go

clapclapclapclapclapclapclap

Wohoo! congratulations :D

Last edited Nov 02, 2013 by joecab
    #4 Nov 02, 2013 at 08:00 UTC - 0 likes

@joecab: Go

Thanks man!

#5 Nov 11, 2013 at 10:29 UTC - 0 likes

For anyone interested I have good news!

The current EA on all servers is extremely stable and now has 4 randomly generated environments:

• Jungle
    • Urban
    • Desert
    • Military Outpost
    #6 Nov 11, 2013 at 23:08 UTC - 0 likes

I'm happy to share my map if anyone's interested. This attachment will likely become slightly outdated because I'm continuously working on it.

Name Size MD5
    Elite_Agents.SC2Map 5.2 MiB ef1ac9a58485...
    #7 Nov 15, 2013 at 02:57 UTC - 0 likes

Elite Agents now supports AI. Coop and single player practice is now possible! :)

#8 Nov 16, 2013 at 01:01 UTC - 1 like

I would like a "stop" ability for the marines since I often want to move my marine closer for a better shot - for which he still needs to have 3 or 6 energy remaining - but find that I ordered him to move a little too far. With a "stop" ability I could prevent the marine from walking too far and running out of energy, which would also help with the sensor arrays that some of them can put up.

I do like the circles that are placed around the active marine telling how many points will be used to walk that distance, but when the distance is non-linear it would be nice to watch the energy numbers to know when to stop.

#9 Nov 23, 2013 at 10:53 UTC - 0 likes

Here's a huge update from the last one in this thread.

Name Size MD5
    Elite_Agents.SC2Map 5.1 MiB 768301ece4d4...
    #10 Feb 05, 2014 at 06:07 UTC - 0 likes

For anyone interested I've decided to move here for everything Elite Agents. I'll frequently post my changelogs there and you can 'track' my project for instant notifications of updates.

#11 Mar 01, 2014 at 10:37 UTC - 0 likes

Hi guys,

I'm very interested in feedback because I consider this map finished (for now). Honestly, don't hold back. If you want to complain about anything, be insanely critical, or use some swear words then go for it. I think my map is amazing but I want to improve it as much as possible.

If you're someone who is more of a casual gamer or has little-to-no interest in turn based strategy games, I find your feedback most valuable.

In order to make it easier for me to get more feedback and process them more quickly, I will not respond to anyone's post unless you ask something specific.

Really, I'm not going to get hurt by anything you say so spray away! It doesn't have to be complicated or detailed feedback either. Just some small comments or thoughts are enough. I will add a poll so you can give your own rating.

#12 Mar 02, 2014 at 03:23 UTC - 1 like

Personally I love the map, and think it's a shame it's not played very often. BUT I do think the variety of units you get to choose are too much, I like small amount of archetypes, with some customization maybe, rather than 15 classes who feel about the same with each other. It's like the difference of having North, South, East and West, rather than having North North West, North West, West North West etc. (weird comparison I know but I hope you understand)

Last edited Mar 02, 2014 by Necromoni
    • Data Editor
    #13 Mar 02, 2014 at 14:11 UTC - 1 like

Okay so these are my thoughts. Personally, I prefer honest and brutal feedback over lighthearted stuff. I just find it more useful. If you don't, then just ignore my post.

Let me start by saying that I've not even played it, nor have any desire to. I felt it might be useful to explain why that is the case.

Let's start with the name. "Elite Agents". It doesn't inspire anything. It doesn't tell you anything. You could literally name your favourite brand of dishwasher tablet "Elite Agent" and it'd still make sense. It's also one step away from "Elite Special Forces" which is not only a completely different (and well known) map type, but also overdone to all hell.

I'd go for something with "Tactics" in the name. It's a term mostly used for turn based games, and it's known for being that. A name like "Star Tactics" would appear to me to be far more descriptive of what it actually is. Still, I came up with that name in a few seconds, I'm sure there are better options.

It's ugly. I mean really ugly. There are *4* different "I made these in 30 seconds" dialogs, all with not only a different font, but also a completely different colour. I can hear a web designer somewhere groan just from the sight of it. The UI itself also has some really strange choices. What's the point of having both a mission timer and a "game ends" timer? There are also missing UI elements with ugly holes left behind. That score dialog. You have the most important number in the whole game tucked away in the corner. To top it all off, the command card is a mess.

I don't know the exact mechanics of ammo, but I'd wager that the ammo counter would be far better placed as a charge count on the unit's attack command, instead of taking up precious screen real-estate with a dialog. It's also probably less effort.

Then there's the terrain. Blank with brown/grey tones, yuck. That's just unacceptable. Some maps can get away with bad/no terrain because they have easy to learn gameplay to draw people in. Turn based games rarely have that luxury, since at least the details of the turn mechanic usually needs to be explained. Think of terrain as a pretty picture to distract people while you cram hopefully enough game mechanics down their throat so that they can enjoy what you've made.

If you're using a randomly generated terrain, then I'd seriously consider not, in favour of hand-crafted terrain. If you are not using randomly generated terrain, then really, there's just no excuse.

I won't say anything about the gameplay itself, because I've never played the map. However I felt it might be useful to see what puts me off from even trying it in the first place.

All the above is "just my opinion", so take it as you will.

Last edited Mar 04, 2014 by TyaStarcraft

Author of various page 1 maps, including EU and SEA's #1 map.
    My arcade maps
    [email protected]

#14 Mar 07, 2014 at 05:30 UTC - 0 likes

I thought it would be a nice change to show the progress or insights into the map with a video.

EDIT: I've also changed the name of the map. You won't find Elite Agents in the arcade but you will find Small Squad Tactics.

Last edited Mar 07, 2014 by Trieva
    #15 Mar 19, 2014 at 11:20 UTC - 0 likes

I'm interested in more feedback if anyone is willing! Especially if you've never played the map before! :)

#16 Mar 29, 2014 at 11:08 UTC - 0 likes

I don't think I'll make any more major changes to this map, that players need to be concerned about (like mechanics, balance, or other non-visual things), unless someone comes along and shares a revolutionary idea through their feedback.

I feel like it's 99% complete and it should be safe to jump in now and familiarise with everything. Based on my persistent testing the game is 99% bug-free and those bugs are very far from game-breaking.

I've also recently published an update that makes the AI much more intelligent. Feel free to challenge them and/or check out my map.

• 16 posts

You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!