Hello to all who are reading this. I will get straight to the point, i am having alot of difficulty making a 2 player mineral and gas leaderboard and i am hoping for someone to help me through it.
From what i have read it doesn't look all that complicated but almost every guide i have looked at shows how to make kill leaderboards and at some point or another i become lost.
The leaderboard doesn't need to be fancy or very good just a simply way to track each players resources. I am not a fast learner and i have been developing a map for about 2 weeks and i can gladly say in that time the map has had great improvment from terrible to mediocre.
There are many things i want to add to my map but at the speed at which i am learning about the map editor my map will probably be good in about 10 years.
Sorry if i am being a bit negative i just become frustrated with how much difficulty i have with learning, anyway if anyone would be so kind as to help me with the leaderboard problem i would greatly appreciate it, thanks for your time.
Are you using an actual leaderboard to do this? In the GameHeart overlay I am just using dialogs.
I went ahead and made an example map with a resource leaderboard.
I would suggest learning to use dialogs for this to be honest, leaderboards seem kind of limited and terrible. But maybe I am missing something.
Anyways, here is the map:
I understand youre frustration with the editor, to me its very complex and wheni get stuck and cant solve it it irritates me. Luckily i have some knowledge in leaderboards so i hope this will help. If i knew how to link files to my comments then i would do that, but im too stupid to know how to do that.
Step 1: Create 5 variables. 4 with the type "integer" and name them "Minerals Player 1" | "Minerals Player 2 " | "Gas Player 1" | "Gas Player 2". Then create the 5th variable to be the type "leaderboard" and name it "Resource Leaderboard".
Step 2: Create a trigger and name it "Leaderboard Setup" and make the events and actions like this:
- - - - Events: - Map Initialization
- - - - Actions:
- - - - - Leaderboard - Create a leaderboard with 3 columns and 3 rows, with the name "Player Resources", and using (100%, 100%, 100%) color.
- - - - - Leaderboard - Show all leaderboards for (All players)
- - - - - Variable - Set Resource Leaderboard = (Last created leaderboard)
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 1 and row 2 to "Player 1 - "
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 1 and row 3 to "Player 2 - "
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 2 and row 1 to "Minerals"
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 3 and row 1 to "Gas"
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 2 and row 2 to (Text(Minerals Player 1))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 3 and row 2 to (Text(Gas Player 1))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 2 and row 3 to (Text(Minerals Player 2))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set (Last created leaderboard) item text at column 3 and row 3 to (Text(Gas Player 2))
Step 3: Create another trigger with the name "Leaderboard Refresh" and make the events and actions like this:
- - - - Events: Timer - Every 1.0 seconds of Game Time
- - - - Actions
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set Resource Leaderboard item text at column 2 and row 2 to (Text(Minerals Player 1))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set Resource Leaderboard item text at column 3 and row 2 to (Text(Gas Player 1))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set Resource Leaderboard item text at column 2 and row 3 to (Text(Minerals Player 2))
- - - - - Leaderboard - Set Resource Leaderboard item text at column 3 and row 3 to (Text(Gas Player 2))
Step 4: Create another trigger with the name "Total Resources Checker"
- - - - - Variable - Set Minerals Player 1 = (Player 1 Minerals)
- - - - - Variable - Set Minerals Player 2 = (Player 2 Minerals)
- - - - - Variable - Set Gas Player 1 = (Player 1 Vespene)
- - - - - Variable - Set Gas Player 2 = (Player 2 Vespene)
All of those step should make the leaderboard count both player 1 and 2's minerals and gas. If you have any questions ask me.
Quote from Project_06: Go If i knew how to link files to my comments then i would do that, but im too stupid to know how to do that.
If i knew how to link files to my comments then i would do that, but im too stupid to know how to do that.
When you create the post there is a button below here that says add attachment, and after it's been created there is a button in the top left of your post that says attach. Also to link pages with words Click the little chain, in wikicreole markup mode.
I'm watching you
Need Help with dialogs? Use Dialogception
Should i put the brackets in the item text for the leader boards and i got a little confused on step 4, i made the trigger and named it TotalResourceChecker, then i set the event timer to 1.0 seconds game time, i then set the 4 variables as Mineralsplayer1,Mineralsplayer2,Gasplayer1,Gasplayer2, but what do i put as the value the same that as the variable?
Ok i made a little progress but now i am stumped, after testing the leaderboard out in game it looks fine except where the minerals and gas are displayed it only showing the text i placed in there
Drakewyvern2, from what youre saying i think you are using xml view? If you then i wont understand what your saying becaus eim using tree view because its simpler. I managed to upload the map i made that has a functioning resource board. Check here if youre stuck.
Thank you, it worked great, i definitly appreciated the help. Hopefully i will be able to figure out the rest of the stuff i want to do as well.
The next thing i would like to do but have no idea of how to go about it, is make a structure which sells abilities to the main hero for terrazine, for example the main hero will get terrizine off of bosses and be able to use this to research abilities from the structure such as ,blink,charge,psistorm,cloak,fungalgrowth,ect. basically i want to have the main hero have the ability to research almost every skill in the game. now i imagine this is a really tough one to do but if i can figure out the basics maybe i can work on it.
to try and make it simpler here is what i would like to know.
1:Give a structure the ability to research
2:Add abilities to the research of the structure
3:Allow the abilities to be researche dby the primary hero.
I already know how to award kill resources so i dont think i should have any trouble there. The first problem i ran into will adding abilities to the primary hero was that some required research and some did not. if this would be extremely complicated to impliment into my map then perhaps its not worth for me to try but i would appreciate more guidance.
From what youre saying youre not doing what i do, which is tha ti duplicate everything so even IDs can be changed but just modifying existing abilities is good too. Most abilities require researching, like Psi Storm needing to be researched at the Templar Archives. To remove this you go the the ability and click of this module: "Ability: Commands +". This module is where you put requirements for casting this ability and the default requirement should be "Use Psi Storm". Honestly i find most of the Starcraft 2 requirements misleading, because "Use Psi Storm" sounds like you have to use it to unlock it which makes no sense but this requirement really checks to see if you have the upgrade "High Templar - Psionic Storm", which you research via research abilities. Sorry if that makes no sense i tend to ramble. I'll give you instructions on each number you showed me(everything we do here will be in the data editor:
1: Give a structure the ability to research
- - Step 1: Go to the abilities tab and create new ability titled "Hero Research" with the type of this ability to be "Research".
- - Step 2: Create a new upgrade titled "Psi Storm" and change the upgrade type to "Spell Research" leave it as it is.
- - Step 3: Create a new requirement titled "Research Psi Storm" and change the requirement type to "Ability" and do the following in the "Basic: Requirement +" module:
- - - - Step 3-1: In the "Use" folder, create a new requirement node.
- - - - Step 3-2: Select this new node and change the type to "Count Upgrade" and change the alias to "Psi Storm".(the upgrade we made earlier)
- - - - Step 3-3: And change the state to "Completed", after doing this you can change the tooltip(which is what text will appear when you havent researched the ability yet)
Step 4: Now create another requirement titled "Psi Storm Hide" and dont bother changing the type.
- - - - Step 4-1: Now go the same module as we did before and add a new node with the type "Less Than"
- - - - Step 4-2: Add another node under this new node we just made and change its type to "Count Upgrade"
- - - - Step 4-3: Change the alias of this node to "Psi Storm".(the upgrade we made earlier) and the state to "Complete"
- - - - Step 4-4: Add another node under the "Less Than" node we made earlier with the type "Constant".
- - - - Step 4-5: Change the number of this constant node to 1.
Step 5: Create a button with the title "Research Psi Storm" and make the tooltips/hotkeys to whatever you want.
Now that should be everything needed to make a research ability and here are more steps to implement them:
Step 1: Go to your research ability that we made earilier and go to the "Ability: Info +" module and double click "Research 01".
- - - - Step 1-1: Now add the "Research Psi Storm" button to the button slot, Add the "Psi Storm Hide" requirement to the requirement slot, and lastly add the "Psi Storm" upgrade we made eariler to the upgrade slot.
Step 2: Go to whatever structure you want to have the research ability and add it to it's abilities module(ill assume you know add abilities to units ;) )
Step 3: Go the structure's Command Card and add the custom button we made, make the ability be the research ability we made, and make the ability command the be the "Research Psi Storm".
Now your structure should be able to research that ability, but now we need to add the "Research Psi Storm" requirement to the ability that your hero uses.
Step 1: Go to your hero and select "Psi Storm" or whichever ability you have this planned for and go to the Commands module again.
Step 2: Now change the requirement to "Research Psi Storm"(the requirement we made earilier)
After alllllll of that the ability should function correctly. If you have any questions ofr if i missed something just ask. In fact this should cover all 3 things you wanted.
Thank you it works great, but i have 1 more question, would it be difficult to make the the ability buttons not be displayed on the hero until the spell is researched?
That is fairly simple, to make abilty buttons invisible until researched, you place the requirement nodes in the SHOW folder. When nodes are in the USE folder, they will only be unable to be activated until the requirement is met. If you place the nodes in the SHOW folder, then the ability will not show up, hence it will also be unusable until the requirement is met.
Thank you again, i have another question which i am stumped on, i have run out of command card spaces to put preset abilities, is there a way to make more than 1 command card be displayed on screen at a time?, also i greatly appreciate all this help.
If you mean having two command cards displayed at once, then i cant help you there :( ... But one way to have multiple command cards is this way:
Go to your unit's command card section, add a new button with any button design you want. Make the ability command be "Submenu" and change the index to 2, this will take you to the second command card on the unit.
Alright, sorry i couldnt help you with that part, im sure you can do what you want in dialogs via triggers but im not the one to ask when you want to know about dialogs :( .
You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!