SC2Mapster Forums

Development > Terrain

Weekly Terraining Exercise #157: A Sense of Depth

• 10 posts
    #1 Jan 27, 2014 at 14:14 UTC - 0 likes
    Weekly Terraining Exercise #157

Hey people!

This week a theme that might benefit any terraining a great deal to learn about. I want you people to make a terrain that has "A Sense of Depth". What does this mean? Simple - you create a terrain and add a sense of depth in it. Whether you do this by contrasting high ground with low ground areas or by adding holes in the floor revealing hidden laboratories (courtesy of Scrinking) is up to you, as long as your map ends up feeling spacious and part of a big, large world.

Let's see if we can get more submissions than last week. Good luck and have fun!

The Global Information/Idea thread for Terraining Exercises can be found here:
    http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/terrain/14658-terraining-exercises-global-information-idea-thread/

#2 Jan 28, 2014 at 02:58 UTC - 0 likes

I made a terrain that started related but ended up having little if any depth, is it ok if I still post it here or should I wait until a WTE related to its topic ??

Note: never mind it fits in the category of next week, i'll try to make something else for this week

Last edited Jan 28, 2014 by pokenoufl

Check out me lips

#3 Jan 28, 2014 at 15:08 UTC - 0 likes

@pokenoufl: Go

Go for it! Maybe we can give you some pointers on what you did wrong or what could be improve to give it the actual depth you were aiming for.

#4 Jan 29, 2014 at 02:26 UTC - 0 likes

Its ok ill wait for next week like it fits the idea I posted in idea thread, I started working on something else tho but I don't know how its going to turn out.

#5 Jan 29, 2014 at 08:17 UTC - 0 likes

Post it anyway, you'll never improve if nobody tells you how

"♪ If you are the Christ, yes, the great Jesus Christ, prove to me that you're not a lie - get a Zerus terrain to make me cry! ♪"

Quote:

Pitch and roll! Pitch and roll! :D

Quote:

Hooo boy... excuse me while I retrieve my jaw from the floor.

Quote:

Alright guys, I'm closing the topic. So much for this week's WTE, no more contributions are necessary. Thanks for your participation everyone.

#7 Jan 29, 2014 at 15:43 UTC - 0 likes

Here is a new terrain I made, other one will come later (not my best terrain but it shows depth)

Last edited Jan 29, 2014 by pokenoufl
    • WTE_157_Rainor_s_party.png
      As Rainor was exploring
    • WTE_157_Full_town.png
      He found an old protoss town
    • WTE_157_preserver.png
      but the town is well guarded
    • WTE_157_fight.png
      an epic battle is in order
    • WTE_157_Town_view.png
      Who will win ??
    • WTE_157_Temple_Archon.png
    #8 Jan 29, 2014 at 16:02 UTC - 0 likes

Sorry about double post but I wanted a new place for my second map.

Here is the map I first made (with little depth) give as much feedback as you want on both of my maps

Last edited Jan 29, 2014 by pokenoufl
    • WTE_157_Race.png
      The annual Space Race
    • WTE_157_Race_dirty_camera.png
      camera got a little sand on it
    #9 Jan 30, 2014 at 01:53 UTC - 0 likes

NOTE: These are just mash up images; they aren't fully detailed yet, but because I'm going to be very busy till next week I thought I'd put these up at least.

• depth_1.png
    • depth_2.png

I do terrain stuff.

And in a Starcraft haiku,

That's all I can do!

#10 Jan 31, 2014 at 04:42 UTC - 3 likes

It's been a while, I had to prove to myself that I still knew how to use the SC2 editor. And I finally had inspiration for this week's event!

Hid a pair of large floodlights behind the cliff to get some shadows on the back wall of the pit.

And I've been sitting on my custom runestone models for a while, I figure it's time to get them out into the world for some fresh air. (Mod attached, since it's required to open the map - yes, they use team color.)

Name Size MD5
    WTE157ASenseOfDepth.SC2Map 465.8 KiB 91523fab5ad5...
    TelRunestones.SC2Mod 5.7 MiB 5019e171c15f...
    • Screenshot2014-01-30_20_27_33.jpg
    • Screenshot2014-01-30_20_27_50.jpg
    • Screenshot2014-01-30_20_28_01.jpg
    • Screenshot2014-01-30_20_28_42.jpg
    #11 Feb 08, 2014 at 16:27 UTC - 0 likes

@Telthalion: Go

This is so cool! Love it, great job! I can easily say one of the best terrains. Thanks for sharing the map!

Last edited Feb 08, 2014 by Eimtr
  • 10 posts

You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!