SC2Mapster Forums

Development > Data

Rotating decals not working ingame

• 9 posts
    #1 Apr 24, 2012 at 16:22 UTC - 0 likes

Hey.

I thought, it would be cool to place some rotating decals on the ground. So I started creating them, and they worked right away in the editor. However, when I started the map, they didn't rotate ingame anymore.

I added an example map; you can clearly see the decals rotating in the editor, but once you start the map, they just stop doing so.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 by Kueken531
    Name Size MD5
    Decals.SC2Map 23.1 KiB baa4269eb623...

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4226/blaj.jpg

#2 Apr 24, 2012 at 17:34 UTC - 0 likes

Your marines are rotating. Any specific reason you are using Doodad and not Model actors? I find Doodad actors behave like a Unit actor in that there can only be one.

#3 Apr 24, 2012 at 17:52 UTC - 0 likes

I use a doodad, because the decals are/should be doodads. It works the same with model actors, though.

I experimented a little further, and it seems, that decal models seem to have some hard-coded properties to them; once set, they cannot be changed. Using actor cheats, I attached a decal to a unit at runtime; it got created properly at the correct attachment point (as far as I could tell, since decals are always projected to the ground). However, once it was created, it did not move any further. Setting its rotation, position or scale did not work. However setting tint color or texture worked flawlessly. Also I could do a model swap, which then showed up at the correct attachment point and was attached properly, and responded to the actor messages. Another model swap back to the decal created a new decal visual at the updated position of the actor.

So its not the actor having the issue, its just the model behaving strange. Also, for the model objects I used duplicates of each other (same XML data besides the model path), so its the model file causing the issue.

So this leads to a somewhat working solution: Rotate an actor and make this actor create new decals periodically (or periodically swap models); works and looks okay for slow rotation speeds. However, I would prefer a different solution.

#4 Apr 24, 2012 at 18:04 UTC - 0 likes

Dunno, will it help you, or not, I just crudely rotate a unit (by trigger) with 2d model attached, so it is rotating in game, but the same model used as unit's natural model doesn't.

Name Size MD5
    Decals_.SC2Map 24.9 KiB 3cfe1dc06d70...
    #5 Apr 24, 2012 at 18:14 UTC - 0 likes

Interesting. For doodad, model or unit type actors, it doesn't seem to work. But the splat type actor you used seems to support ingame rotation of the decal model.

Now I am curious, if it is just caused by some setting, or if the base actor type is the reason.

€ doesn't seem to be a setting... and unfortunately, splats suffer from some other issues, like not supporting ModelSwap or TextureSelectByID messages, which makes them not particularly useful for my desired application

#6 Apr 24, 2012 at 19:26 UTC - 0 likes

I find a Model type actor that has a model that follows the terrain is best.

#7 Apr 24, 2012 at 19:34 UTC - 0 likes
    Quote from DrSuperEvil: Go

I find a Model type actor that has a model that follows the terrain is best.

I agree, but I didn't get it to work for a model actor... could you elaborate or provide an example map?

#8 Apr 24, 2012 at 20:29 UTC - 0 likes

It might have something to do with your video settings in-game.

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 by Neonsz

Achievent

If you're not paying for the service, you're not the customer - you're the product.

#9 Apr 24, 2012 at 20:50 UTC - 0 likes

@Kueken531: Go

Sorry, not before the 1st of May.

• 9 posts

You must login to post a comment. Don't have an account? Register to get one!